English
Book online
Langon - SUD-GIRONDE
eglise langon
Langon - SUD-GIRONDE
eglise langon

Eglise Saint-Gervais de Langon to Langon

The construction of this church began in the 13th century with the chevet to the east. Work was halted on the corner pillars of the choir and transept and was not resumed until two centuries later. During the troubles of the Fronde, in the 17th century, some parts of the church were lost, including the vaults in the nave. Construction was finally completed in 1847. The bell tower, strongly inspired by Chartres cathedral, was built in 1861. The church has a Cavaillé Coll organ dating from 1857, which follows the rounded lines of the rose window, and a painting by Francisco de Zurbaran.