English
Book online
Bommes Saint Martin
Eglise de Bommes
Bommes Saint Martin
Eglise de Bommes

Eglise Saint-Martin de Bommes to Bommes

The original church was rebuilt in 1840 because it was deemed unsafe. The bell tower was rebuilt under Napoleon III, following a donation from the Viscount of Pontac. In gratitude, the commune had his arms and those of his wife carved into the building. The Viscount’s generosity continued with the restoration of the stained glass windows. One of them is topped by a design on a red gules background with stars, reminiscent of the Pontac coat of arms. The four capitals are set into the wall of the presbytery where, like modillions, they act as brackets for the cornice.